Monday 21 December 2009

Settling down

Week starting Monday 14th December 2009 - the week was generally ok, with renewed focus on searching for long term accommodation as well as troubleshooting IT problems at the Leonard Cheshire Disability West Africa Regional Office - LCD (our Sierra Leone partners) and helping to prepare a proposal for them - part of the deal for the free office space and occasional lift back to my hostel. Few possibilities but nothing concrete on the house front - was hoping to see some more houses on Friday and the weekend but was letdown by the ‘kalo-kalo’ (lingo for ‘up to no good’) estate agent. On the job front, (although I have already received two offers now), I am still putting more job applications, just finished one application for UNICEF - want to cover all the bases so there are excellent options to chose from.

On the charity front, there has been some progress - I have assembled a local selection/interview panel to review the sponsorship applications, hold the interviews and make recommendations to the UK Board of Trustees. I have also been meeting our potential training providers to access their competences, ascertain some costs and possible contents/curricula of the courses. I have also booked the British Council hall in preparation for our launch programme, where we’ll be presenting five scholarship certificates to our candidates - we’re hoping to invite some important guest including the First Lady, Ministers, media, industry people, etc. But very excitedly, I received four applications since Thursday!

Generally, I’m settling down well, although feeling a bit low as it gets closer to Christmas - I miss friends back in the UK - but I draw comfort and encouragement especially every day I open the advent cards with personal messages from EBC members. Not sure what I am doing yet for Christmas, SL has a majority Muslim population (approx. 60%) and (approx. 15-20%) Christians, so I am in the minority even amongst my family, who are Muslims. I'll probably spend most of the time at Christmas relaxing in my Hostel at the YMCA, that is, if I’ve still not found accommodation by then.

Towards the end of the week (Friday 18th December), I heard that the container with vehicle is now not arriving until end of Christmas (it was suppose to arrive on 16th December and was hoping to clear it by end of December so I can get about) but it would probably now not clear until mid/late January. In a way this is a blessing as I’ve still not found accommodation yet and I would have probably struggled finding a place to store my stuff - although come to think about, if I had the car, I could use it as a temporary accommodation and save on rent (joke)! Something else that has been on my mind is my parent/family - although they are aware I am in town (I phoned them as soon as I got here), they haven’t visited but instead grumbling that I am helping others instead of them, which is a bit disappointing, but I had anticipated this will happen and hopefully the situation will sort itself out....However, I just want to thank God for the love and kindness he’s shown me through people and throughout this journey so far.

Many thanks for reading and I wish you a Happy Christmas and a Blessed 2010!
God Bless and Love
Abs

1 comment:

  1. Abs

    sounds like you are making good progress. Here is to a good 2010.

    you are in our thoughts, Bruce

    ReplyDelete