Saturday 5 December 2009

The departure and arrival in Freetown, Sierra Leone



Finally got round to sitting down at an Internet Cafe to update my blog. I haven’t fully downloaded or transcribed my audio diary. But more of that in the ‘planned book’.

I was picked up by Easthamsptead Baptist Church friends, Rob Lea and Sue McCartney at 7am on Wednesday 2nd December for Heathrow Airport. Not so a good start in the morning for me…didn’t sleep for two days – a combination of last minute packing, apprehension and excitement! I had the worst shivering I have had for a long time – similar to the one I had just after coming out of surgery and recovering from the anesthetics. Part of the worry was the potential excess luggage. So upon check in, my worst fears were realized…the two suitcases and one rucksack were all over weight by a massive 32kilos, a potential whopping bill for 480 pounds. As we stood there and as I explained to the check in lady that I was going to run a charity in Sierra Leone for one year…one of a number of answered prayers were realized. She put the luggage through without even commenting that they were overweight…she simply pressed the button and there they went.

A little bit calmed by now…as we went for a coffee/breakfast. Departed at around 11.45am (scheduled for 11.10) and arrived at Lungai Airport at 18.35 local time (no time difference in UK winter time) on same day. The flight was ok, though a bit bumpy (turbulent) especially over the Sahara desert (and so we were only fed once) and hard landing (nothing unusual). Very quick processing through the airport this time - luggage picked up and out of the airport by 19.00. Picked up outside by a hired car to cross over to the hotel in Freetown (the airport is north of Freetown separated by a massive river).

Of course what I should have said is that a day or two before the departure I had checked to make sure the hotel (Hotel 5.10, a B&B in the East of Freetown, an old teachers college) accommodation was all ok, which I had booked about three months ago. Only to find out on Tuesday that the hotel has given out the rooms including mine to an international conference. I had to quickly call a contact in Freetown on Tuesday and on the way to Heathrow...who found me the YMCA hostel before my arrival on the same day. There…the accommodation worry the night before is again sorted out….well another answered prayer! You have to remember that my family at EBC and a lot of friends have regularly been praying and thinking of me and this is an encouragement to all that God is answering their prayers.

From the airport, we drove to the ferry port and whilst waiting to get into the ferry, I realised I had forgotten one of my luggage (I suppose the tiredness and sleep was beginning to catch up with me) so we had to turn round to go back to the airport, where a really nice man took us to his office and handed me my rucksack… and back on the 15mins return drive to the ferry. Of course by now we've missed the ferry. We had to wait another 2hrs for the next ferry. By the time I got to the YMCA hostel in the central of Freetown, it was 1.30am and I think I went to bed about 2am.

No comments:

Post a Comment